I wanted to put my notes into this post from the presidential debates this evening. They’re not in rant form, so bear with the randomness of the selections.
- Bush: “there have been rumors on the internets” Yeah, all of the millions Internets, right. Sounds like my grandmother.
- Doomsday forecast “not if, but when” sucks
- Bush: “there was weapons of mass destruction” in Iraq. Good grammar, Ivy-boy.
- Bush: our weapons need to be “lighter, and quicker, and more facile” How exactly does that relate to weapons, eh?
a (1): easily accomplished or attained: a facile victory
(2): SPECIOUS, SUPERFICIAL: I am not concerned … with offering any facile solution for so complex a problem — T. S. Eliot
b: used or comprehended with ease
c: readily manifested and often lacking sincerity or depth: facile tears
2 archaic: mild or pleasing in manner or disposition
3 a:READY, FLUENT: facile prose
b: POISED, ASSURED
synonym see EASY
- Blink blink the beady eyes
- Does cutting off the moderator = petulance or forcefulness?
- Did he just call him Senator Kennedy? As in “Senator Kennedy is the most liberal blah blah blah?”
- Mizzurah. I bet he didn’t pronounce it like that until five minutes before the debate.
- Don’t wink at her, you old perv.
- Bush: whining “I don’t understand” won’t get you my vote.
- Same goes for “We’re doing the best we can.”
- None no one else has a blank check to whatever the hell we want with the resources of the free world. Why should he?
- Was there ever a congressional declaration of war? did I miss that? is that why he can spend our government dry?
- “an obligation to spend that kind of money”? WTF?
- “fiscal responsibility” doesn’t mean “fiscal conservativism”. that’s why their names have different words in them, mr. president.
- What happened to gay marriage in this damn debate anyway?
- Liberal doesn’t mean bad.
- My parents both served. Why should little rich boy get out of it?
- Support our troops. Make one president.
- So what if taxes go up a little bit. A drop in the bucket to save our country doesn’t sound like a bad deal.
- Kerry: citing authorities doesn’t touch our hearts. Reach deeper inside yourself. When you speak from a place of passion like Bush seems to, you will touch far more people.
- Or just fake it, like Bush does.
- “Common Sense Environmentalism” sound like “Common Sense Neurosurgery”. Kind of scary.
- Re: Air quality, Bush could also say there are fewer tornados in Texas since his presidency, but that wouldn’t make the fact a direct result of his policies.
- Bush: “the standard of living we are accustomed to” meaning gas-guzzling SUVs. He said No to Kyoto because he couldn’t tell a country and an economy based on excess to stop stuffing their fat cars.
- “A culture of life in America.” Oh shit. If he’s reelected, there goes Roe v. Wade. and a woman’s right to choose. Not her right to kill, but her right to choose for her own body and her own life.
- Bush cannot self-criticize. That, to me, would be a strength.
- There is a difference between moral certainty and stubborn inflexibility.
- So what if Saddam was in power? Really. So the fuck what? So is Kim Jong Il and Putin, and whoever the fuck in Burma…
- I will say this for him. Even if Bush is not prepared to represent my beliefs in the White House, at least he prepared for this debate.
- Re: WMD, what about innocent until proven guilty? Obviously not attended to. What was that Golden Rule?
- Re: “God Bless”, please keep God out of it, Mr. Bush. There are enough people in the world throwing God around.
I could go on all night.